Thursday, February 20, 2014

Wymana Meets R & G Week

When I was getting ready to leave for UCC, one of my friends came up to me and said, "You are going to come back so buff." And I replied, "?......????.....What?" Have you seen my lifting ability? No? That's probably because it doesn't exist. However, let us consider yesterday:

I WENT TO THE GYM. A friend *dragged* me to UCC's Mardyke (much like OSU's Dixon) Tuesday afternoon, and plans to do so every Tuesday and Thursday afternoon from now on. After accidentally setting off the Mardyke's "Unaccounted-For Visitor" alarm and a number of unsuccessful squat-turned butt-plants, I am successfully on my way to returning...buff.

Needless to say, I was the world's biggest grandma getting out of bed this morning. Everything felt stiff and sore. What I lacked in eloquence of movement, I made up for in grumbling. But in truth, I enjoyed my time at the Mardyke quite a lot.

Which doesn't really bring me to my next point, but here it is: This week is R & G week at UCC. That means that while I am happily sitting inside, cup of tea in hand, writing INCREDIBLY FASCINATING blog posts, most other people are out getting drunk for charity. R & G stands for Raise and Give. This week is a huge deal for UCC. Essentially, all the clubs and societies host activities to raise money for charity. The Physics and Astronomy Society hosts Zombie Outbreak, UCC's version of Humans vs. Zombies. Top 40 music blasts at the campus Old Bar (yeah, there are 2 bars on campus) from morning until night. And parties are brewing by 6 pm on College Road, which runs adjacent to campus. It's a crazy week to be out. Trying to get down College Road Monday night at 6 was like playing Frogger: College Edition. Sidestep very evidently inebriated bro stumbling down sidewalk. Dodge large group of 4-inch hot pink stilettos. Look up and see arms brandishing beer bottles out second story windows. Take evasive action and decide to avoid sidewalk. Though the official goal of the week is to earn as much money as possible for that special cause, it's secondary association is as an excuse to show up to class with a bad hangover. In sum, R & G week makes Thirsty Thursdays look like middle school.

I spent the evening discussing pop culture literature at the UCC Chaplaincy book group. It was wonderful.

However, it is possible that my silent monologue may be cut short in a few minutes by friends determined to go for a pint and some nightlife downtown.

With that in mind, I regurgitate this concluding bit of advice in the knowledge that this may be my last entry (and also because I recently re-watched some Firefly):

That Special Level of Hell: A place reserved for child molesters and people who don't replace the empty toilet paper roll on the bathroom dispenser.

Go raibh maith agat. Oiche mhaith agus go n-eiri leat.

No comments:

Post a Comment