Sunday, February 9, 2014

Madam Rosmerta

I'm a pretty big Harry Potter nerd. Don't bust out the trivia on me, because I'd probably do awful. But just because I don't remember every fantastic little detail doesn't mean that my mind isn't partitioned into a Hogwarts side and a real world side (much like my computer). That said, I discovered a fun Harry Potter fact in class this week...in Celtic Religion and Mythology, no less:

In order to claim valid kingship in old Ireland, kings had to fulfill several tests. One of these was to undergo a "sacred marriage." Basically, the king had to take a woman as a consort. This woman symbolized the goddess figure and the sovereignty of Ireland. She was also heavily associated with the role of Pouring Drink. Lug, the most important god for the old Irish, had a consort named Rosmerta. Together, they fulfill the above roles.

Now consider Madam Rosmerta from Harry Potter and how she runs a pub.

Bam.

No comments:

Post a Comment