Thursday, March 13, 2014

Spring Sprang?

Take a moment and consider: would you have used 'sprung'? I was thinking about this the other day and realized that I use 'sprung' and 'sprang' about the same amount. English: I'm glad it's my first language.


In any case, spring is here. Or, at least, it has been for the past 4 days: no rain, hardly a cloud in the sky, warm enough for shorts. My roommate came back from class with a sunburn. It is possible that Ireland can, in fact, have a certain amount of weather stability. Look out: I may actually come back with a tan.

Aside from the weather, another pivotal event marking this week was...wait for it...the submission of my archaeology essay! It was a huge weight off. I walked down to the Connelly Building today (where the Archaeology office is) and dropped this fancy little package of assessment form-title page-fact vomit-where the facts were before they were vomit into this big wooden drop box and it was wonderful. Not only that, but in the process I met another engineer from the US studying abroad. The first. It was kind of like what I imagine winning a few thousand dollars on jeopardy feels like.

The combined effects of this meeting, the AR Paper: Submitted, and the sun all put me in a springy mood. So I made my first pie for dinner. It wasn't the most masterful piece of cooking art. I didn't make enough dough...didn't have the right sort of flour...nor the right sort of sugar...nor did I actually have a pie dish. I just lined a too-large tray with foil and kind of tried to turn up the edges to contain the fruit juices. Which worked--more or less. It just looked kind of like my pie caught the plague. 'Twas delicious, however.



For those of you curious, I did not actually go clubbing in the unicorn leggings referred to in last week's blog addition. Yet, I shall forever bear their vivid memory, burned into my brain.

Looking forward, this coming weekend is St Patrick's Day weekend. Yep, the whole weekend is apparently crazy and filled with events. We have Monday off of school. To illustrate this, my history professor was talking about Ireland's role as a peacekeeper in the UN, found it funny, and said "You go out Paddy's Day weekend and you'll be sure to see a lot of peacekeeping." So we'll see what happens, I guess. In any case, I'm jazzed to be in Ireland for St Patrick's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment