Tuesday, December 31, 2013

First Day in Cork

I don't think I've ever eaten more for breakfast in my life. I'm also fairly certain that I just had the most alcohol I've ever had in my life...at breakfast. Because I can't move into my apartment until January 2nd, my mom and I are staying at a B & B across from the university which, as we discovered this morning, serves a super (and super-sized) breakfast.  You go downstairs and sit down and they bring you tea or coffee with a little pitcher for milk, a couple bowls of sugar, a basket of baked goods, and a tray with jam and butter. They ask you what type of porridge you would like for starters. Starters? Porridge is already more than I usually have for breakfast. My mom and I just kind of stared at them with blank faces, so they decided we would very much like the Bailey's Irish cream porridge.  Which was excellent--and drowned in quite a lot of Bailey's Irish cream. Then they came around again and asked us what we'd actually like for breakfast. Well, by that time I was pretty happy and both of us a little dizzy from Bailey but we both decide to try the traditional Irish breakfast. Which is huge. Two eggs, two turkey sausages, two pieces of bacon, two types of potatoes, half a tomato, two types of Irish sausage, and a cup of mushrooms. It was great. There was a family speaking French two tables down, and a very Irish guy right next to us who took some food to go for "elevensies", and a family from Chicago here for a wedding. We stuck around and eavesdropped on other conversations for a while. But when we left, we took a couple scones to go...for elevensies, obviously.

No comments:

Post a Comment